Saturday, May 11, 2013

DIY Chalkboard Bunting

Hey there! I wanted to pop in and show you guys this little project I did the other day. A teacher friend of mine asked me to set up her room for her "Muffins with Mom" Mother's Day get together. I didn't really get any pictures of the room, but I did get some pictures of something I made for the backdrop. A chalkboard bunting! I have been wanting to make one and I decided that this was the perfect excuse.
 
I'm just going to jump right into the tutorial.  I haven't done a whole lot of tutorials, so I'm definitely open to pointers if you have any!  Just leave me a comment! 
 
Ok, so I started with these chipboard bunting flags that I found at Hobby Lobby.  They came 9 to a package and I got them on sale for around $3.50 a package.
 
 
Next, I grabbed some chalkboard spray paint and followed the directions (shocking, I know) to cover each flag with the paint.  So here's where I tell you my little secret.  The can said to wait 24 hours for the paint to dry completely... Ummm, I am just not that patient.  I think I might have waited 12 hours...maybe.  Guess what?  I don't think it made a bit of difference.  I had no problems with the paint.  So, here are the flags after the 2 coats of paint.  Sorry they don't show up very well.  I was painting them on a trash bag. :-/
 
After waiting as long as I could for them to dry, I seasoned them with a piece of chalk.  To season them, you simply take a piece of chalk and rub the side of it all over the flags until each one is pretty much covered with chalk.
 
Next, I just took a dry washcloth and rubbed off most of the chalk.  I left a little on the flags because I liked the way it made them look.  They looked more "used", not brand new.
 
Luckily, these flags came with prepunched holes already in them, so all I had to do was string twine through them.  You could really use anything for this. Ribbon, fishing line or even tulle would work.  I used the twine because I plan on reusing this bunting over and over again and I felt like the twine would go with just about any theme.
 
After that, it was just a matter of writing my message on it and then hanging it on the backdrop I had created.

 
So there you have it.  A super simple diy chalkboard bunting.  I have a feeling I'll be using this for lots of different things.  When I went to erase the message, it came right off, no problem!  So, what do you think?  Will you be making one of your own soon?  What will you use it for?  Any tweaks you might make?  Leave me a comment and let me know!
 
Thanks for reading!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment